Today four monuments or markers commemorate Jackson’s fate. Two, a simple quartz boulder and a more elaborate granite column, mark the area on the Chancellorsville battlefield where Confederate musket fire struck and wounded the general. Another stands beside the small building where he died eight days later. The fourth, however, is possibly the most unusual, if not the oddest, memorial erected on any battlefield from the war.
In a small family cemetery on the Ellwood plantation, located on the eastern edge of Orange County, Va., stands a simple granite marker. It is the only marker in the cemetery, but it does not memorialize any of the family burials there. Carved into the face of the stone is “Arm of Stonewall Jackson, May 3, 1863.”
Following Jackson’s amputation, the Reverend Beverley Tucker Lacy, the unofficial chaplain of Jackson’s Second Corps, paid a visit to the hospital, where he discovered his chief’s amputated limb. Lacy wrapped it in a blanket and rode the one mile to his brother’s home, Ellwood. There, he buried the severed limb in the family cemetery. In later years another member of Jackson’s staff, Lieutenant James Power Smith, settled in Fredericksburg and married a member of the Lacy family. In 1903 Smith placed 10 granite monuments on the local battlefields to mark important locations. One of those markers is the one that now stands in Ellwood’s cemetery.